Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oval Coffee Table Find

I found a coffee table for our living room but I'm not sure if it suits the room.


I have been looking for a bigger bench, a chest or a coffee table for our living room. I didn't want anything too big as our living room is on the small side. I saw this solid wood oval table from a local guy's ad on kijiji. He refinished it and I thought $40 was an okay price. 


This is the little white bench we were using. I love the idea of a rustic bench, but this one is a bit small.


I really like that the coffee table is fairly narrow so walking around it is not a problem. It is an overcast day, raining on and off, so I had to turn the overhead light on for photos.


Now I have to decide if I should keep it until I find the perfect (affordable) rustic chest or resell it. I like the shape but I'm not sure if the stain is too dark or if it is too short. Also, my style tends to be a bit more rustic. There are a lot of brown tones going on, but I could always add a white cut-work or vintage crocheted runner to the table to lighten things up. I also plan on replacing the little tray table to the right of the couch. The gallery wall is a work in progress too.


I need to think on it awhile but I would love to hear your opinion. From the same place I bought two old chippy paned window frames. After I clean them up I will take some photos. Okay, back to pie baking for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner. 
I am sharing this at the following parties...

16 comments:

Red Gate Farm said...

I think the size is much better than the bench... and the shape is nice in a small room... no corners to catch your shin on! Perhaps with something light on it light you suggested? At least for the time being until you find something that you really love!

~Chris

PS have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow!

elizabeth said...

I have a dark blue leather couch almost like yours. I had a similar coffee table and felt that it was too formal for the room and for my more rustic tastes. I found an old trunk for 1/2 price at Goodwill and it seems just right for the room now, though an old wooden blanket chest is my first choice if I ever find one reasonably priced. You can see photos of my room on my Friday blog post.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

The new coffee table is very pretty. Maybe you just need a lighter runner or throw on it, to tone down the dark? Just until you find something else you like better.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Elizabeth,
What an awesome deal you got on this beautiful table. I think it looks fine and would keep it. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Blessings,
Linda

Dawn said...

I think you should paint it white and get it some chunkier legs.

White Weathered Hutch, said...

Well the price was right!! I would also paint it a lighter colour and then it wouldn't stand out so much.
Try that chalk paint that's all the rage.

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

It's lovely. The perfect size to balance the couch. I would suggest you will like it better once you have something on it ... a tray, candles, books ... something to tie it into the rest of the room.

Happy Thanksgiving ... Sharon

Donnamae said...

I really like it...and agree with the others that you should lighten it with a runner, and style it with candles or a plant and see if it might lighten up.

Teresa@oursoutherncountryhomeandfarm said...

I think the table looks great, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Kelly said...

I really like it! I think once you place things on top of it, you'll like it more. You can style it with some rustic touches and it will fit in just fine. I love the shape of it for that room and the straight legs are nice. I'm used to seeing the queen anne style legs with an oval coffee table. The straight legs gives it a more masculine look which is what you want. Can't believe the great price too! If you use it for a while and still don't like it, you can always paint it! Ha!

andrea@townandprairie said...

I love the table! If your concerned about too much brown, paint it white... or add a white braided rug under her to brighten and anchor the room!

Pamela Gordon said...

It's a nice table Elizabeth but I think it's too formal for your decor. The shape is nice - no corners to run into. I think you should try to find something rectangular but not too large, with chunky legs and perhaps a cream paint. Something like a short chest or blanket box. Just my humble opinion. I'm not an expert! ;) I did like your bench although it was too small. I hope this helps.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

I think it's the perfect size. Maybe once you dress her up a bit she might start feeling more at home. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Coastal Charm. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-18.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Becca said...

What a pretty table, Elizabeth! I love the size and shape it for your beautiful room, too! If you want to lighten it up, as you mentioned, I love the idea of adding a cream tray on top or other light elements! Whatever you do, it will be lovely!

Dewdrop Gardens said...

It fits your room better than the little bench. It is a pretty table, but needs something...once you decorate the top you might like it better.
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving on Monday!
Debbie :)

Pamela said...

This table is beautiful but I read you had already flipped it for a profit! Way to go!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...